Wire wrapped pendants and more.

The art of setting stones with wire only, no solder or glue.

Wire wrapped pendants and more.

Postby JewlzAdmin » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:54 pm

I am a wire wrap artist. I also teach. It is my intention to share this craft with you and exchange ideas. I have been wrapping for only a few years, but I was taught by Carolyn Eddy of Honeyville, Utah, who is one of the best. She has been wrapping and teaching wrapping for over 20 years.

You can see images of my work on my Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jewlz-Bea ... ?sk=photos
JewlzAdmin
Site Admin

Re: Wire wrapped pendants and more.

Postby JewlzAdmin » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:55 am

One of my students has asked me for a list of steps, in order, as a refresher to her wire wrapping class that she took from me. If you've never taken the class, this will not make a lot of sense, but it is the process I use for wrapping a pendant (40x30mm cabochon).

1. Surround stone with masking tape, mark tape where you will make your bindings.

2. Lay out tape and measure to determine the circumference of the stone and how much you need to add to the length for the bail and embellishments.

3. Cut wire pieces to the desired length.

4. Lay wire strips side by side so they are aligned to appear as one solid strip of metal and use small pieces of masking tape to bind the lengths of wire into one strip. This becomes the bundle.

5. Center your bundle along the marked masking tape that measured the circumference of your cabochon and transfer the corresponding marks from the tape onto the metal of your bundle (remove any tape bindings that might be in the way of marking the bundle). The marks on your bundle are where you are going to bind with the half-round wire.

6. Bind over the marks, being sure to always wrap in the same direction.

7. When bindings are done, remove the tape bindings and begin to shape your bundle starting at the center, to curve around the outside edges of the cabochon.

8. When the bundle is shaped to fit the cabochon and the end bindings meet at the top of the stone, use the flat nosed pliers to bend back each side of the bundle, exactly at the top of the end bindings, back to make approximately a 45 degree angle. These straight ends of the bundle will become your bail.

9. Use a hemostat to clamp the two straight pieces at the top together and begin to bind the neck of the bail with the half-round binding material.

10. Remove the hemostat and complete the binding, making the 'wedgie' with the long tail.

11. Pull your front prongs, being sure to start with the bottom prongs. For a high domed stone, you may want to angle your prongs outward slightly.

12. Push your stone from the back, face first into the front prongs.

13. Pull your back prongs being careful not to scratch the stone.

14. Make your bail.

15. Add your embellishments and remove any excess wires.
JewlzAdmin
Site Admin

Return to Wire Wrap and Sculpture